Call for Papers - Special Issue of JEMIE on Minority Language Media and Covid-19
The upcoming Special Issue of the Journal on Ethnopolitics and Minority Issues in Europe (JEMIE) intends to focus on the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic on minority language media (MLM). We therefore invite scholars to submit articles tackling particular issues or highlighting best practices concerning MLM during the Covid-19 pandemic and resulting lockdowns.
We welcome submissions from all interested scholars addressing issues listed below, as well as other thematic areas relevant for MLM in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. Both overview articles discussing MLM operating in a given linguistic sphere, and case studies concentrated on a particular media outlet, type of content or issue are encouraged.
- Adaptation of MLM outlets to different waves of the pandemic.
- Effects of the pandemic on the content covered by MLM.
- Analysis of content produced by MLM during the pandemic.
- MLM and majority-minority relations during the pandemic.
- MLM and education in minority languages during the pandemic.
- Social media in minority languages during the pandemic, including examples of online breathing spaces.
- MLM and their audiences during the pandemic.
- MLM vis-a-vis scapegoating and securitization of minorities during the pandemic.
- Financial implications of the pandemic for MLM outlets.
- Cooperation between MLM and majority language media during the pandemic.
- Media of indigenous communities during the pandemic.
- Training of MLM journalists during the pandemic.
The deadline for submissions is 31 August 2021.
For mroe information on JEMIE and this particular call for papers, please see the JEMIE subpage.