Doğukan Cansın Karakuş
Dr. Doğukan Cansın Karakuş is a postdoctoral researcher working with Dr. Felix Schulte on the DFG-funded project "Sparking Events, Emotional Climates, and Cultural Identity Conflict Cascades."
He holds a bachelor’s degree in political science from the Free University Berlin (Otto-Suhr Institute), a master’s degree in political science and global politics from the Georg-August University Göttingen, and a PhD from the Georg-August University Göttingen (2021). As part of his doctoral research, he spent two terms at the Department of Peace and Conflict Research in Uppsala and a brief period as a visiting researcher at the Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO).
Previously, he held positions as a research associate at the Center for Global Migration Studies (CeMig) at the Georg-August University Göttingen, at the Department of Peace and Conflict Research at Uppsala University, and a postdoctoral position at the Peace Academy Rhineland-Palatinate, University of Koblenz-Landau. As a lecturer, Doğukan taught a seminar on "Peace research in intra-state conflicts' at Göttingen's Faculty of Social Sciences. He has coordinated and completed five international projects and field research for the Department of Peace and Conflict Research and the Department of Psychology at Uppsala University. Presently, he has collaborated with Prof. Dr. Peter Wallensteen at the Alva Myrdal Center of Uppsala University on the nuclear disarmament project. His research has been published in international publications including Terrorism and Political Violence, The Royal Society Open Science, and the Journal of Conflict Resolution (forthcoming).
- Karakus, D. C. (2023) Resolution of Local Conflicts Involving Armed Islamists: The Syrian Civil War, 2011-2021. Pathways to Peace and Security, 64 (1), 58-75 in: www.imemo.ru/files/File/magazines/puty_miru/2023/01/04_Karakus_final.pdf
- Lundgren, M., Svensson, I., & Karakus, D. C. (2022). Local ceasefires and de-escalation: Evidence from the Syrian Civil War. Journal of Conflict Resolution, 00220027221148655.
- Karakus, Dogukan Cansin (2022) The annexation of Ukrainian territory by Russia might trigger other territorial interstate conflicts: What preventative measures could be taken by other nations? In: www.friedensakademie-blog.eu/2022/12/07/the-annexation-of-ukrainian-territory-by-russia-might-trigger-other-territorial-interstate-conflicts-what-preventative-measures-could-be-taken-by-other-nations
- Karakus, Dogukan Cansin (2021) Power Mediators and Pure Mediators: Exploring their Impact on Implementing Internal Peace Agreements. Georg-August University Göttingen. In: hdl.handle.net/21.11130/00-1735-0000-0008-585C-F
- Gredebäck, G., Haas, S., Hall, J., Pollak, S., Karakus, D. C., & Lindskog, M. (2021). Social cognition in refugee children: an experimental cross-sectional study of emotional processing with Syrian families in Turkish communities. Royal Society Open Science, 8(8), 210362.
- Skoog, E., Hall, J., & Karakus, D. C. (2020). Kindness in the aftermath of cruelty?: The effects of exposure to war-time trauma on altruism across social categories in http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2%3A1388616&dswid=-6578
- Karakus, D. C., & Svensson, I. (2020). Between the bombs: Exploring partial ceasefires in the Syrian civil war, 2011–2017. Terrorism and Political Violence, 32(4), 681-700.
- Hall, J., Skoog, E., & Karakus, D. C. (2017). Complex stereotypes based on group affiliation, sex and age determine generosity under threatening conditions. In: www.researchgate.net/publication/315668701_Complex_Stereotypes_Determine_Prosociality_Following_Exposure_to_Sectarian_Conflict
- Karakus, Dogukan Cansin (2015) Friedens- und Konfliktbearbeitung in Bürgerkriegen: Regional-institutionelle Friedensmissionen im Kosovo, in Bosnien-Herzegowina, Liberia und Sierra Leone. Hamburg: Diplomica Verlag
- Karakus, Dogukan Cansin (2014) Minderheitenpolitik der Türkei und Spaniens. Hamburg: Bachelor + Master Publishing
- 2013 March 14–22: "For a More Equal World, the World is Yours” in Konya (Turkey) (EU-Supported Youth in Action Program)
- 2016 April 16: Spring Symposium: Presentation of my doctoral thesis in Oslo, Norway, at the Peace Research Institute Oslo.
- 2017 February 22–25: Participation in the 58th International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Convention in the USA/Baltimore: Understanding Change in World Politics
- 2017 May 29–30: Participation in the Cluster Conference Social Sciences, Economics, and Law (SSEL) “On the Move: Exploring Contemporary Dynamics of Migration” in Uppsala
- 2018 April 4-7: Participation in the 59th International Studies Association (ISA) Annual Convention in USA/San Francisco: Power of Rules and Rule of Power.
- 2019 September 18-20: Participation in the Conference in Oslo/Norway: Talking while fighting? The causes and consequences of civil war ceasefires and security arrangements.
- 2022 April 26: Guest speaker and discussant, "Finding Peaces — What Does Peace Mean? The Franco-German Peace and the Syrian Civil War" was organized by the Berlin/Germany-based think tank “Polis180”.
- 2022 October 19–22: Participation in the Inauguration and the First Annual Conference of the Alva Myrdal Centre for Nuclear Disarmament, Uppsala University.
- 2023 July: the Alva Myrdal Centre Conference titled "Nuclear Disarmament at a Crossroads" (Uppsala University).