Dr. Andreea Cârstocea is Senior Researcher and Head of the Cluster Equality & Inclusion at the European Centre for Minority Issues. Andreea is also a co-editor of the ECMI Minorities Blog. Her main research interests include equality, inclusion, and the political representation of national minorities. Andreea holds a PhD in Political Science (2012) and an MA in Human Rights (2005), both obtained at University College London, UK.
- Andreea Cârstocea, Craig Willis, ‘Research Report on the Socio-economic Participation of National Minorities’, commissioned by the OSCE HCNM, 2021. [embargoed]
- Andreea Cârstocea, Book Review: Legal Aspects of Ethnic Data Collection and Positive Action. The Roma Minority in Europe’, Journal on Ethnopolitics and Minority Issues in Europe Vol 19, No 2, 2020, 107-114.
- Andreea Cârstocea, Ljubica Djordjevic, Polina Sulima, Talente Entdecken & Fördern. Über die Unterstützung von benachteiligten Jugendlichen im Übergang von Schule in Ausbildung und Beruf (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit, 2019)
- Andreea Cârstocea, ‘Roma Policy-Making in Romania and Bulgaria: In Need to Prioritise Combating Anti-Gypsyism’, ECMI Working Paper #111, December 2018.
- Andreea Cârstocea, ‘(Un)friendly School Environments? Bullying and Microaggressions as a Cause for Roma Children’s Academic Underachievement’, ECMI Working Paper 107, December 2018.
- Andreea Cârstocea, ‘National Minorities and Socioeconomic Equality: Still Work in Progress’, ECMI Issue Brief 41, December 2018.
- Andreea Cârstocea, Raul Cârstocea, The Roma in Moldova. An overview of key challenges and relevant policies, ECMI Report #69, 2017.
- Andreea Cârstocea, 'Democracy, participation, and empowerment', in Tove Malloy, ed., Minority Issues in Europe: Rights, Concepts, Policy, Frank&Timme Verlag, Berlin, 2013.
- Andreea Cârstocea, 'Accountability and political representation of national minorities: a forgotten link? Evidence from Romania', ECMI Working Paper 65, April 2013.
- Andreea Cârstocea, ‘”Ethno-business”: the unexpected consequence of national minority policies on the political system in Romania’, in Zdenka Mansfeldova, Heiko Pleines (eds.): Informal relations from democratic representation to corruption. Case studies from Central and Eastern Europe. Changing Europe Series vol. 8, Ibidem Publishers, Stuttgart, 2011.
- Andreea Cârstocea, ‘Ethno-business: A Case of Failed Minority Policies?’, in Tul'si Bhambry, Clare Griffin, Titus Hjelm, Christopher Nicholson and Olga G. Voronina (eds.): Transformation and Transition in Central, Eastern Europe and Russia. Studies in Russia and Eastern Europe No. 8, School of Slavonic and East European Studies, University College London, 2011.
Selected projects and research funding
OSCE High Commissioner on National Minorities
Research Report on the Socio-economic Participation of National Minorities
University of Leicester, QR Global Challenges Research Fund
Grant for the research project ‘Marginality on the Margins of Europe – The Impact of COVID-19 on Roma Communities in Non-EU Countries in Eastern Europe’
German Research Council (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, DFG)
Grant for Conference ‘What’s in a Name? Extending the Existing Scope of Protection for National Minorities to Migrant Communities in Europe’
Think Tank Fund and Roma Initiatives Office of the Open Society Foundations Grant for three Roma Policy Research Fellowships at ECMI
Grant for developing and implementing the ‘Take Attitude, Stop Discrimination!’ National Programme in Romania